This is one of my favourite go to recipes!
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
2 medium sized butternut squashes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup apple juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Thin slices of unpeeled granny smith apples for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add chopped onions, and cook, covered, until the onions are tender. About 25 mins
- When onions are tender, pour in the stock, add butternut and apples and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the butternut and apples are tender. About 25mins
- Pour the soup through a strainer, reserving the liquid. Transfer the solids to the bowl of a food processor. Add one cup of the cooking liquid and process until smooth. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Add the rest of the cooking liquid and apple juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer briefly to heat through and serve hot, garnished with apple slices.