Here is my favourite and most fool proof turkey recipe in the whole world! The apples are optional, but really are quite glam.
Try your best to find a free range, unfrozen turkey, if you can, otherwise the recipe is so good that the best you can get your hands on will do!
1 whole turkey *
4 celery sticks (leaves intact)
2 large carrots
600ml tomato juice / tomato cocktail
1 cup sherry
1 Tbsp paprika
1 ½ Tbsp salt
Ground black pepper
4 cups water
12 royal gala apples
*if you are using a frozen turkey, make sure that it is completely defrosted and room temperature before you start
- Fill the cavity with the whole celery sticks and the carrots.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan, breast side up
- Mix the remaining ingredients together, and pour over the turkey.
- Bake, uncovered at 180°C for 2 hours, turning the turkey every half an hour.
- When the turkey is about 45 minutes away from being cooked, score each apple around the circumference, as if drawing the equator, and trim the bottom of the apples, so that they can sit firmly on their own. Place them into a separate roasting dish, with about a cup and a half of the turkey’s gravy
- Place on a rack below the turkey and cook for 45 minutes.
- For serving, arrange the apples around the turkey.
Leave a Reply